The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) enforces the provisions of FLSA for non-government employees. Federal and state wages are overseen by various agencies. Regardless of the type of employer, any violation of the FLSA is unlawful and subject to penalty.
We can assist you in recovering unpaid wages due to any type of FLSA violation, including:
- Classification of a nonexempt employee as exempt (many courts have held that dancer/entertainers are not independent contractors and are not exempt from mandatory minimum wage requirements)
- Failure to pay overtime
- Improper or falsified record keeping
- Underpayment of agreed wages
- Withholding commissions
- Failure to provide equal pay due to race, gender, religion or other type of discrimination
- Under the FLSA, employers may also be guilty of subtle tactics to avoid paying full and fair compensation to their employees. These manipulative measures may be more difficult to prove and require an insightful attorney to identify and litigate against such actions.
Our skilled lawyers can investigate your claim to discover if your employer utilized devious strategies to underpay, which may include:
- Improperly designating overtime as “comp time”
- Readjusting commissions after the fact or other illegal commission schemes